ArcoLinux and XAMPP
XAMPP is a free and open-source cross-platform web server solution stack package. The name XAMPP is an acronym, with each letter representing one of its key components:
– X: Stands for cross-platform, meaning it can run on various operating systems like Windows, Linux, and macOS.
– A: Represents Apache, which is the web server software used in XAMPP. Apache handles the requests from clients and delivers web pages to users.
– M: Stands for MariaDB/MySQL, the database systems used within XAMPP. They store and manage data for web applications.
– P: The first ‘P’ refers to PHP, a popular scripting language that is used to develop dynamic web pages.
– P: The second ‘P’ stands for Perl, another scripting language that is included in XAMPP.
XAMPP is designed to be an easy-to-install and use package to help developers quickly set up a local development environment. This environment is used for testing and development purposes, allowing developers to create and test their web applications on their local machine before deploying them to a live server.
Pros of XAMPP
Ease of Installation and Use: XAMPP offers a straightforward, wizard-driven installation process, making it exceptionally user-friendly, especially for beginners who are new to setting up a web server environment.
Cross-Platform Compatibility: XAMPP’s cross-platform nature allows it to run seamlessly on Windows, Linux, and macOS, providing flexibility for various user requirements.
All-in-One Package: The package includes essential components like Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, PHP, and Perl. This comprehensive inclusion removes the need for separate installations and configurations.
Ideal for Development and Testing: XAMPP is perfectly suited for developing and testing websites locally, providing an ideal platform before deploying them to a live server.
Robust Community and Resources: Thanks to its popularity, XAMPP boasts a substantial community presence, offering an abundance of tutorials, forums, and support resources.
Cons of XAMPP
Security Concerns for Production: Configured for ease rather than security, XAMPP is not recommended for production environments without further security measures.
Performance Limitations: For complex or high-traffic applications, XAMPP might not deliver optimal performance. It is primarily designed for development and testing purposes.
Issues with Default Configuration: The default configuration settings may not align with the specific needs of advanced development projects, necessitating further adjustments.
Limitations for Advanced Users: Advanced users may find XAMPP restrictive, as they often prefer to configure each component for more granular control.
Version Compatibility: Occasionally, the components bundled in XAMPP may not be the latest versions, posing challenges for projects that require the newest features or security enhancements.
Archiso – licenses issue
We have created our own version so we can build isos.
Arcolinux welcome app or awa
Thanks to Fennec who found the time and did the coding we have a new AWA.
Pragha is out – Lollypop is in
After 6 years on our ISOS it was time to take a look at the audio players.
We decided to go for Lollypop.
Here are a few of the criteria:
- works on X11 and Wayland – already a few gone
- that is still maintained – github commits
- that is likely to be maintained in the future
- that is intuitive in adding and playing folders and files
- that is nice to look at – fits in our design
- that is not too complex but also not too minimal (gone was deadbeef, mpv,…)
- nice covers and maybe a full screen – multimedia center feeling
- that can handle thousands of folders and files
- that can obviously play back all common formats of music
Changes to Hyprland, Sway and Wayfire
We will keep consolidating Hyprland, Sway and Wayfire.
- dozens of waybar themes in Hyprland and in Wayfire
- btop as default now
- open as root in thunar
Release of Hyprland, Sway and Wayfire
We have changed so many things that we created a pacman conflict.
Easiest way to get everyone the last code with the myriad changes was to built a new iso.
PKGBUILDS have been changed avoiding a package conflict for pacman.
keep rolling if you wish – just update
We ask users who are rolling to remove these packages.